Chair, Department of Theatre, and Director of Asian Studies, Rhodes College Editor, Ecumenica: Journal of Theatre and PerformanceAssociate Professor, Rhodes College, 2010-Present Assistant Professor, Rhodes College, 2004-2009 Visiting Assistant Professor, Georgia College & State University, 2003-2004
BooksBrigham Young: Sovereign in America. New York: Routledge, 2014 Theatre and Religion on Krishna's Stage. New York: Palgrave, 2009
Selected Articles and Book Contributions
- "Tableaus and Selves in Vrindavan and Oberammergau". In Oberammergau 2010: Critical Responses. Kevin Wetmore, ed. (forthcoming)
- "On the Existential Impossibility of a Religious Identity". Dialogue 48.1 (2015): 45-77.
- "Brat Tvam Asi: Rasa as a Conscious State". In The Natyashastra and the Body in Performance: Essays on Indian Theories of Dance and Drama. Sreenath Nair, ed. (Jefferson: Mcfarland, 2015).
- "Video Games, Theatre, and the Paradox of Fiction". Journal of Popular Culture 47.6 (2014): 1123-35.
- "Religion". Ecumenica 7.1/7.2 (2014): 89-92.
- "Notes on the Gita Govinda". Journal of Vaishnava Studies 22.1 (2013): 47-54.
- "Rasa and the 'Saturated Event'". Studies in South Asian Film and Media 54.1 (2013): 47-55.
- “The Phenomenology of Audience in Vrindavan’s Râs Lîlâ Theatre”. Journal of Vaishnava Studies 21.2 (2013): 131-43.
- "Metatheatre and Consciousness." In Embodied Consciousness: Technologies of Performance. Jade Rosina McCutcheon and Barbara Sellers-Young, eds. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- "Oberammergau". In The Greatest Shows on Earth. John Freeman, ed. London: Libri, 2011.
- "Religious Experience as a Model for Emotional Experience in Theatre". Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism 22.2 (2008).
- "Rasa, 'Rasaesthetics', and Dramatic Theory as Performance Packaging". Theatre Research International 31.1 (2006)
- "Who Is the Indian Shakespeare? Appropriation of Authority in a Sanskrit A Midsummer Night's Dream". New Literary History 34.2 (2003).
- "Stanislavsky, Smarana, and Bhâv: Acting Method as Religious Practice in Vrindavan, India". Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism 18.1 (2003).
- Banaras Revisited: Scholarly Pilgrimages to the City of Light, Istvan Keul, ed. Asian Theatre Journal, forthcoming.
- Mapping South Asia Through Contemporary Theatre, Ashis Sengupta, ed. Modern Drama, forthcoming.
- South Asian Festivals on the Move, Ute Hüsken and Axel Michaels, eds. Asian Theatre Journal 31.2 (2014).
- Religion, Theatre, and Performance, Lance Gharavi, ed. Modern Drama 56.2 (2013).
- The Colonial Staged: Theatre in Colonial Calcutta, by Sudipto Chatterjee. Theatre Research International 36.1 (2011).
- Maqbool (film review). Borrowers and Lenders: The Journal of Shakespeare and Appropriation (2009).
- Shakuntala (media review). Asian Theatre Journal 24.1 (2007).
- The Second Highest World War: The Rama Theatre of India, by Anoop Chandola. Asian Theatre Journal 21.2 (2004).
Selected Lectures and Presentations
- "Performative Suspension: The Limits of Liminality". University of Iowa, Department of Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures. April, 2015.
- "Lila and Divine Play". Abeerization in the Caribbean Panel Discussion. Hindu Prachar Kendra, Trinidad and Tobago. March, 2015.
- "Rasa as a 'Conscious State'." Keynote address at the first International Natyasastra Conference. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India. March, 2011.
- "Râs Lila Theatre and Vaishnavism." University of Georgia, Department of Theatre and Film Studies. Oct., 2009.
Selected Conference Papers
- "Play and Resistance in Ram Lila". Second International Conference on Ramlila. Indira Gandhi National Center for the Arts, Delhi. November, 2015.
- "The Limits of Mimesis in Religious Performance." International Federation for Theatre Research Conference. Warwick. July, 2014.
- "Monastic Performance." International Federation for Theatre Research Conference. Barcelona. July, 2013.
- “The Infant Jesus of Prague”. Theatre and Religion Working Group, International Federation for Theatre Research Conference. Santiago. July 2012.
- “Metatheatre and Consciousness”. Theatre and Consciousness Working Group, International Federation for Theatre Research Conference. Munich. July, 2010.
- “Rasa as a ‘Conscious State’”. Working Session on Cognitive Studies in Theatre and Performance. American Society for Theatre Research Conference. Puerto Rico. November, 2009.
- “Cognitive Theory and Medieval Performance”. International Congress on Medieval Studies. Kalamazoo, MI. May, 2009.
- “Western Introductions to Indian Theatre.” Indian Society for Theatre Research Conference. Bangalore, India. January, 2008.
- “Indian Play and Medieval Devotional Performance.” International Congress on Medieval Studies. Kalamazoo, MI. May, 2007.
- “Theatre Is Religion: Ras Lila Audiences and the Experience of Theatre.” Comparative Drama Conference. Los Angeles, CA. March, 2007.
- “Role Theory and the Paradox of Fiction.” Comparative Drama Conference. Los Angeles, CA. March, 2006.
- “Rasa and the ‘Rasaboxes Exercise’: Legitimizing Theory and Practice through India.” American Comparative Literature Association annual meeting seminar. Penn State University. March, 2005.
- “Mimesis and Presence in the Distinction of Theatre.” Comparative Drama Conference. Columbus, Ohio. May, 2004.
- “Religious Life of Ras Lila Actors.” Comparative Drama Conference. Columbus, Ohio. April, 2002.
- “Touching Reality in Ras Lila.” Association for Theatre in Higher Education Conference. Chicago, IL. August, 2001.
- “The Deity Made Me Do It: Subversive Aspects of Ras Lila Performance.” Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs. Lansing, Michigan. September, 1999.
- “The Divine Play: Ras Lila as Metatheatre.” Association for Theatre in Higher Education Conference. Toronto, Canada. July, 1999.
- “Playing God: Divine Roles in India’s Ras Lila.” Association for Theatre in Higher Education Conference. Toronto, Canada. July, 1999.
Selected Fellowships, Awards, and Honors
- 2014, The George A. and Eliza Gardner Howard Foundation: Howard Fellowship
- 2013, Rhodes College: Faculty Development Grant: Archival Research
- 2011, Andrew Mellon Foundation/Rhodes College: Public and Digital Arts Grant
- 2009, Rhodes College: Faculty Development Grant: Theatre and Cognitive Theory Research
- 2008, Andrew Mellon Foundation: Creative Advance Planning Study Leave
- 2001 - ’02, U.S. Department of Education: Fulbright-Hays Fellowship
- 2000, U.S. Department of Education: Foreign Language/Area Studies Fellowship
- 1995, U.S. Department of Education: Foreign Language/Area Studies Fellowship